My big goal for the year is to run 3:48 at the Chicago Marathon in October. That's what I have my sight set on and that is what is guiding my decisions and reacting more on the conservative side. All my other races and runs are to help me become stronger, fitter and a better racer. I want to slowly build my base to 60 miles per week.
My goal for the LA Marathon, which is to run a strong race, has not changed. I believe I will be back to running by the end of this week. Coach Becki has provided me with cross-training work outs and alternatives to running.
- Monday: Cycle class + glute exercises as a warm-up to weight-lifing. Squats, deadlifts and box jumps. Today marked 1-year of heavy lifting! This has all helped my running economy, power and strength. In the evening, I went to the gym with Paul and walked steep hills on the treadmill while he did his workout.
- Tuesday: Workout Tuesday. The planned workout was a 2 mile warm-up + drills and strides; 4 x800m with 2 minute recovery + 1 x 1-mile; 1 mile cool-down. Dani joined me for the workout. We ran the 2 mile warm-up outside and then went into the gym to do the work-out on the treadmill. I hit the prescribed paces for the four 800's, but by the time I got to the 1x1-mile I had to work up to the prescribed pace (8:00/mi) so overall it was a little slow (8:16/mi). Coach Becki said that was great because it was within the range.
- Wednesday: 5 miles easy run + drills and strides before weight-lifting. Shoulder press + chest press. My right leg at my old 2015 injury site started to bug me more. Earlier in the week it was 'just' twinges.
- Thursday: 30 minutes easy treadmill miles (3.5 miles) + yoga class.
- Friday: 30 minute tabata class + 30 minutes easy run and drills/strides. At this point in the week, my right leg was bothering me enough that I decided not to run the rest of the week.
- Saturday: The plan was to do a speed workout (5x1000m) and then do a long run on Sunday. This ended up being a rest day with no activity other than rolling and stretching.
- Sunday: Plan was to run for 1hr40min. Instead I cross-trained on the elliptical, bike and steep hill walking on treadmill for an hour total.
2017 miles: 25 miles
I have appointments with my physical therapist and with my chiropractor for ART and I hope by this time next week I'm back to running! If not, I have my eyes set on my bigger goal and will make sure I do everything to NOT sabotage it.
See the training link up on Eat Pray Run DC HERE.